06 June 2010

"31" (warning for tender ears/eyes: contains graphic language)

“You don’t need no niggah. You got one, though, don’t you? That’s who you’re callin’. You want my number? Would you call me? I bet you would, wouldn’t you? You’re cute, too...that short hair, those little hips. Mm hmm... then you can call ME ‘daddy’....”
That was as far as I could let him go. I was still in the process of learning mass transit in DC and was experimenting with the route 31 Metro bus. He got on talking shit and never shut up. He’d taken a seat three behind me and across the aisle, directly across from a young woman whom, for some reason, he felt entitled to harass from the moment his butt hit the seat, about cell phones, what she did with her money, her social life. As he went on, he was obviously emboldened by the lack of resistance he met.
She said only one thing to him, not too far into his rant about how she was spending her money: “Why you talkin’ to me? I don’t know you.”
He was easily more than twice her age, a little grubby, one eye shut or missing, and loud. There was no missing or mistaking his words or his tone, or the fact that she wanted nothing to do with him; and yet none of the 20 or so people on the bus said a word, including the driver. I know the feeling, as we all surely do, of being in a situation with someone who we believe automatically has the upper hand, and of being helpless to do anything but just take it until we can get away.
Everyone deserves to know that nobody has the right to make them feel that way. And no one deserves to leave such a situation believing that somebody else does have that right. This girl deserved to know that this vile man had no such right, that no matter what common characteristics he thought obligated her to take his crap, he was wrong. She is as human as every other person on that bus, and he had no right to talk to her in the manner he was. No one does.
I waited for the bus driver to do his job and take control of the situation, but even as the man’s harassment extended into more and more personal territory, the driver continued to ignore it. At “daddy,” I turned to the mouth and said solidly, and loudly enough to be heard by the driver, “Alright. Enough. You’re going to have to leave her alone now.”
He didn’t take it well. He’d said his last word to her, but he had plenty left, and I got all of it.
“This fucking lesbian’s gonna get in my business?! I’m not hurtin’ her! We’re just talkin’! She’s not hurt! You mind your own business! ...”
I said, again loudly enough to make sure the driver and all other potential witnesses heard, to clarify that this was not the beginning of the problem, “You were not ‘talking’ to her; you were harassing her and have been since you got on the bus. You’re being rude and disrespectful, and you need to stop.”
“Fuck you, fucking dyke bitch!! You need to worry about you, not me! You don’t know yourself! I know myself, she know herself, you need to know yourself! There’s something in there ain’t right, that you need to figure out! Fucking lesbians, gonna try to tell me what to do!! You need to just SHUT THE FUCK UP!! ...”
We pulled up at the next stop, and the girl took her chance to get off of the bus. Still, there had come not so much as a glance from the bus driver, whether because of ignorance, spinelessness ... or maybe even agreement. I finally called out to him, saying that the man had been harassing the girl for some time, that I had told him to stop, that he was now harassing me, and that he, the driver, needed to do something. I saw him look up into his rearview mirror, back and forth between me and the man, waiting, as though hoping for some evidence in the man’s favor that couldn’t be refuted later by every other person present. For his part, the man ranted away, hurling venomous insults and obscenities at me without pause. For a time, I said nothing in response, only sat and held the gaze of the driver in the mirror. Finally, the driver said, “Sir, you’re gonna have to calm down.”
Maybe his words were distorted by my adrenaline, but he sounded regretful at having to step in, much less on that side.
A couple of other people chipped in comments such as, “Call the police,” and “Just throw him off the bus.” He would silence them with a hard “YOU shut the fuck up!” ...and then return to his tirade against me. The driver continued to tell him, weakly, that he was going to have to calm down, as the man got louder and louder. He moved to a seat closer to the front, leaning in close to me as he passed, to tell me that “we’re on the same team” and then tried again to make his case for having been intruded upon in the “conversation” he was having “with” the girl, and that she hadn’t had any complaints. I responded that it was not a conversation but harassment and reminded him of her only words, verbatim. His volume jumped several decibels.
“FUCKING FREAK, LESBIAN BITCH!! She looks like a fuckin' weightlifter and she’s worryin’ about me?!! Motherfucker, there’s something WRONG with you, FUCKING DYKE BITCH!!!”
I looked out the window and answered, “God bless you, sir.”
“Oh God BLESSED me!! God BLESSED that girl!! God DIDN’T bless YOU!! There’s something WRONG with you!!”
I nodded. “Yep, that is what God likes to hear.” It was the last thing I said to him, but I am no saint for my lack of replies. I thought so many more things...ugly things, things that would have stayed with him, would have wounded him, because they, unlike the things he said to me, would have had meaning, would have been direct hits on exactly the aspects of himself and his life that must haunt him every second, the things that were probably responsible for making him as vicious and predatory as he is. The things I could have said would have been nothing more than a weapon, not even my genuine feelings. Saying them would have constituted the only regret with which I could have been left, so I am grateful for the control I had over it, wherever it came from.
“Don’t you bring GOD into THIS!! He BLESSED me!! He didn’t make no MOTHERFUCKIN’ LESBIAN DYKE BITCH!!”
This assault actually went on for several surreal minutes while I sat, numb, watching him bury himself in his own poison. The driver finally buckled beneath the man’s visibly growing agitation and the low grumbling of the other passengers and declared that the man would have to leave the bus. He was now yelling at the top of his lungs and barely controllable. As he stood up, he whipped around and snapped at the woman who had been sitting silently next to him, “WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU SAY??!!” His stream of profanity continued as he stomped down the steps, cursing and beating on the side of the bus as the doors closed and he was left behind.
“FUCKIN’ WHITE PEOPLE!!!”
Suddenly I could feel again, and the horror of it overwhelmed me. My whole body shook, and tears forced themselves out of my eyes in streams, as though pressed through a crumbling dam. I stared out the window and tried to breathe deeply and maintain some control of myself. The others rode silently as the bus made its way through traffic.
I was filled with emotions that were hard to sort through. I didn’t feel embarrassed, necessarily, because I hadn’t done anything to embarrass myself. I wasn’t really even hurt by the man’s words, because they weren’t personal enough, in any way that mattered, to be hurtful. They were just empty words flung like rocks by a man who didn’t know me and had only taken the opportunity to pour into me all his frustration at being who he was, living in his world with his own share of ugly people, and then having his fun interrupted.
I did feel residual fear, and anger, lots of anger, even betrayal at the actions of the driver and the other passengers on the bus, or lack thereof. As I calmed down, I worked on how to not hate the man for initiating the situation, for his behavior and his opinions, and for his blame of everybody but himself. Mostly, I was just exhausted by the rush and retreat of the adrenaline, and terribly, terribly sad that any of it could happen--that there are still, always, enough feelings of indignation and pain, exclusion and need in enough people to fuel that much bad behavior.
Further up the route, a tall man who had been seated up front, across from where the man had relocated himself, stood up to wait for his stop. He was in the aisle next to my seat, holding the bar, and after a few seconds, he glanced down at me and said quietly, “Thanks for speaking up.” I looked up at him and nodded weakly, and he said, “It was the right thing to do.”
“Thanks,” I managed. I took a few slow, deep breaths and sat up a little straighter.
A few stops later, a young woman leaving the bus stopped and touched my shoulder and said with sincere and surprising emotion, “Don’t you listen to a word that man said! You’re beautiful, just the way you are!” I hoped that there was someone out there who would tell the first girl the same thing. Shortly after that, the elderly man sitting closest to the driver leaned over and told him that he had let it go on for way too long; and the woman next to him said he should have called the police right away, that the man had seemed to them dangerously close to violence.
I know "scenes" like that are exactly why many people don’t “get involved,” why people say "pick your battles" and probably never would have picked this one, but it’s not a good enough reason. For my part, I just fight the battles that pick me, and there is nothing special or unique about me. Of course it was an awful experience, but if I found myself in the same situation tomorrow, I hope I wouldn’t do it any differently. I'm not a martyr: as bad as I felt, I know that it was better than I would have felt if I had just stuck my head in the sand and stayed out of it. It's always my goal, at the end of the day, to have been the person I most want to be, and at least for that tiny part of that day, I was. I can't control anybody else, and wouldn't want to.
It was several days before I realized the irony in the route number -- 31 -- the same as my favorite psalm, a laminated copy of which I carry in my wallet (yes, really). It is filled with verses asking for protection from those who speak wrongly and viciously against me, for grace and mercy in the face of their attacks, for the silencing of their lies, for shame to fill my antagonists while sparing me, and finally, that I “Be of good courage” while he (in whatever form your “he” takes) shall strengthen my heart. Its truth isn’t lessened by any divergence in beliefs. Courage and heart go together and, like anything, grow stronger with exercise.
It is my own personal prayer as I go through my life, judged by a whole other set of people for a whole other set of inaccuracies: my corrupt “lifestyle,” the thinness of my general moral character, my lack of concern for the feelings and rights of others, my threat to the institutions on which our whole society is based, etc., etc., etc.
My response is the same, no matter the circumstances, skin color, religion, sex, orientation, or setting: All I can do is be me.

1 comment:

  1. Brava. Both for your response to the abuse, and for the excellent writeup.

    I asked myself how I would have responded in your shoes and couldn't give myself any better answer than "not as well as Kristin did". Events like this are true tests of character and I think this story says a great deal about yours, the driver's and the other passengers' and I hope they all had a good hard think about it.

    Drawing on my own less extreme experiences, I think bystanders are paralysed by not knowing the best way to respond, and so being afraid to respond at all. We are never taught how to deal with these situations. The abusive man might become physically violent, or at best would certainly give us a very unpleasant ride after we stepped in, as he did to you. We're afraid, so we say nothing and hope the problem goes away.

    I should say: We are never taught how to deal with these situations, except when someone like you sets an example. The comments a couple of passengers gave you afterwards suggest to me profound admiration that they couldn't express any better than they could express their anger towards the abusive man. Maybe next time they face such a situation, they will know better how to deal with it.

    You suggested that the bus driver might have not wanted to get involved because he secretly agreed with the abuser's comments. If I may, without having been there and without knowing the first thing about him, I'd rather attribute such a lack of response to fear than agreement. Although the driver absolutely should have taken control of this situation, I very much doubt his training prepared him for it and I very much doubt he was selected for the job on grounds of assertiveness and leadership. I hope he felt ashamed and I think he probably did. Like the passengers, I hope you taught him a better way.

    Brava.

    ReplyDelete

Remember what your mother told you.