28 July 2009

The Enlightenment Spectrum

I was half-watching television this afternoon while I dug for information about the 1968 presidential campaigns and election. I had been diligent about hitting the “mute” button at the beginning of every commercial, both due to the usual absurd content and the program-peak-matching decibel levels. Then one such break caught me off guard, and what a gift!

There is a wonderful commercial promoting the Discovery channel (which I was already watching, but whatever) that features all imaginable “types” of people, in an array of settings of both hobby and profession, all equally joyful and up to their armpits in life. It was beautiful, intelligent, and inspiring. “I love the whole world...it’s such a brilliant place! Boomdiada, boomdiada, boomdiada, boomdiada....” It made me weep a little, it was so good.

It was followed by a Coors Light commercial with a guy who gets hit in the back of the head by a baseball while his attention is on a critical beer purchase. I guess you can’t win ‘em all.

“The world is just awesome.” Indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember what your mother told you.